Nicholas G. Vardalos & Company is a full service accounting firm serving clients throughout the Chicago metropolitan area, northwest Indiana and southwest Michigan.

In some situations, such as when you apply for a student loan, mortgage or visa, you may be asked to provide a copy of your most recent tax return. If you do not have a copy, you can get a tax return transcript for free from the IRS.

 Tax Return vs. Tax Account Transcript

A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. In most cases, your transcript includes all the information a lender or government agency needs. It does not show any changes you, your representative or we made after you filed. Ask your financial institution to be sure a return transcript will meet their requirements. The tax return transcript is generally available for the current and past three years.

We can also provide a tax account transcript. The tax account transcript, which is also free, shows basic data from your return, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income. It also includes any adjustments you or we made after you filed your return. Like the tax return transcript, the tax account transcript is generally available for the current and past three years.

 Order Your Transcript

You can now order your transcript(s) using our new Order a Transcript application. Or you can fill out our new Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcripts, (Form 4506T-EZ). This streamlined form will help you get your return information quickly and easily. If you or your business needs information from other IRS forms, such as Form W-2 or Form 1099, you can use Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return, to get it. You can download these forms from the links on the right side of this page or order them from our self-service line at 1-800-908-9946. If you order form(s) by phone, follow the prompts and select 3, then 1 to quickly complete your order. Once you get your transcript order form, complete it, sign it and send it to the address listed in the instructions. Either way, you can expect to get your transcript within 5 to 10 days from the time we receive your signed request.

 Send Your Transcript to a Third Party

You can also specify that you want your transcript sent to a third party, such as your accountant, a mortgage institution or a government agency. You must sign and date the Form 4506-T giving your consent for the disclosure to a third party. To protect your privacy, we need your signed request before we can release your transcript.

 Order a Copy of Your Tax Return

If you need an exact copy of a previously filed and processed tax return and all attachments (including Form W-2), you should complete Form 4506 (PDF), Request for Copy of Tax Return. Mail the form to the address in the instructions, along with a $50.00 fee for each tax year requested. Make your check or money order payable to the "United States Treasury." Copies are generally available for returns filed in the current and past six years. Copies of jointly filed tax returns may be requested by either spouse and only one signature is required. Allow 75 calendar days to receive your copies.

​​Order a Transcript

Tax Return Transcripts